Friday, March 25, 2011

Hot Diggity Chow Chow!

copyright:
Carolina Sauce Co.
I have a new favorite Southern find--hot chow chow! No, it's not a dog suffering through a South Carolina summer. And it's not an Asian drag queen at the gay cabaret club that I'm still meaning to go to one of these days. Chow chow is a heavenly concoction of cabbage, peppers, onions, vinegar, and spices--basically a relish except no pickles. Many of the recipes I've found incorporate green tomatoes as well, but those were left out of the jar I stumbled upon at the roadside farmer's market. It's tangy and delish, and the perfect condiment for pretty much anything. How did I go through my whole life--and more than a year of living in the South--without knowing about this?!? Well, now I'm certainly making up for lost time.

Here's one that sounds very similar to the kind I have. And the makers even donate part of their proceeds from every jar to another fun new discovery of mine: Operation Sauce Drop. They send tasty sauces -- and chow chow -- to servicemen and women overseas. Awesome!

Have you moved to a new place and fallen in love with one of their regional treats?

No comments:

Post a Comment